|Home Owner Problems
||[Apr. 22nd, 2013|02:49 pm]
So my last home owner problem was solved by Kevin with a cheap tool from Home Depot. This most recent one, not so much.|
There was an epic storm in Illinois Tuesday and Wednesday. When Kevin woke up at 6 a.m. to go to work there was a weird beeping and we couldn't figure out what it was or where it was coming from. I thought maybe it was a circuit breaker that had been knocked out outside but we traced it to the basement where it turned out to be coming from our sump pump letting us know it had been activated. Apparently by about a foot of water flooding our entire basement.
By the time we came down we were just looking at soaked carpet but having never dealt with anything like this had no idea what to do. We started making calls to companies that deal with flooding damage but found everyone else was having this problem and no one could give us a good estimate when they could come by. Since I was dubious about my car's ability to get me to Rosemont given the water level I decided to work from home while Kevin went into work. I went to Home Depot where there was a run on all flood supplies. I got the very last wet vac, a small 2.5-gallon one, only after finding it abandoned in a cart since the entire aisle where they'd normally be located was empty. I took it home and spent hours sucking water out of the carpet but it was a pretty Sisyphean task. I couldn't actually get any of it dry. The next day I bought a larger wet vac and tried again but had even less success. One of the restoration services called me back with what seemed like an outrageous price so I told them I'd just handle it.
But then Saturday the entire basement smelled like mold and I knew I could not handle it. So we frantically started calling more places until someone agreed to come over, tear out all our carpet and a foot of drywall around the entire basement, fill the space with fans and dehumidifiers, disinfect everything and charge us an amount that was even more outrageous than the quote I got Friday. Kevin's actually staying home today so they can continue the process and they'll be back later to pick up their equipment and give us an estimate on putting the drywall back in.
I suspect the water was caused by a storm sewer backup rather than the roof as the moisture seemed to come up from the bottom and we have a brand new roof. Supposedly someone from the city's going to come out and check it out but they're so backed up since 100 people reported flooded basements on the same day that it's going to take a while.
I was super depressed about the whole thing. I know it could be a lot worse -- we keep a TV, Xbox and a bunch of gaming stuff down there and none of it was damaged. But it's just really frustrating since we've only owned the house for eight months and already have a catastrophic event. But we're trying to look on the bright side. We were considering getting an extra outlet put in, which would have required a hole in the drywall and now we have one. We'd been lazy about our plan to repaint down there so we don't have to re-repaint and now have a really good reason to. We'd also been considering replacing the not very nice carpet there with something else which I think now will be something less vulnerable to flooding.